[Magdalen] Close Call/Korea.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 15:28:40 UTC 2018

With all the attention currently upon events on the
Korean Peninsula, I remembered that I was very
close to being eligible for the draft into the US Military,
and then sent off to the front lines of this unpopular,
deadly "Conflict."  That War/Conflict ceased for all
practical purposes in 1953, and I graduated from
high school in 1955.

The USA Selective Service let me finish my dermatology
residency in 1966 before grabbing me for duty (during
the Viet Nam War) by placing me in the Cold War in Germany
1966 - 1970.

I do remember the hordes of Korean War veterans crowding
the UW-Madison Campus when I entered my undergraduate
years there in 1955.  The veterans were essentially all male,
and all carried one of those huge slide rules, usually attached
to their belts.  They all seemed to go for one of the several
engineering specialties, so the pathways from the Residence
Halls to the Engineering Campus were well worn.

Years later, I visited the stunning Frank Gehry building at
UM-Minneapolis housing the finest collection of Korean
furniture in the USA.  I became an instant convert, and
half my home is furnished with Korean pieces.

Who would have guessed?

David S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weisman_Art_Museum