[Magdalen] It's official

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 21 07:52:36 UTC 2018

This side of the pond we have suffragan bishops and diocesan bishops. The word order in TEC usage makes sense as the title "bishop" gives their order within the Church. The qualifier then describes their current role.  This order is important with bishops provisional (which we don't have over here). To reverse the word order to provisional bishop would suggest that the appointment is a probationary one subject to confirmation if they give satisfactory service for a few months. The reality is that it's a more demanding role of sorting out how things need to be arranged in the future.
Roger