[Magdalen] The Prairie in Winter

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 17:26:28 UTC 2018

Thank you Jim,

What I remember of the Illinois "prairie" (from attending U. Illinois
in Champaign-Urbana a few dozen years ago) are the vast and changing
patterns of the sky, and the densely diverse hedgerows and creek beds.
All of which are difficult to show in photos.

What I have learned since then are the deep and complex root networks
that are not visible to a casual observer, and how they both stabilize
the soil and allow plants to communicate with each other (and with
soil flora & fauna) in ways we are only beginning to appreciate.
Amazing plant communities!

Evocative photos.

Cady
whose parents (who met in chemistry graduate school at U.Ill.) called
it the "University of Illinois in Shampoo-Ipana ... a bad habit that I
have perpetuated