[Magdalen] The Prairie in Winter

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 20:39:50 UTC 2018

My hometown, Grantsburg, Wisconsin, is at the shore of what wasGlacial Lake Grantsburg.  The village is situated on a sandy shelfwith strongly acidic soil that has produced, I think, the largestof the Hill's Oak (Northern Pin Oak/Quercus ellipsoidalis species.

It's a shame these huge and wonderful trees are gradually
disappearing because residents don't like raking their toughabundant leaves.  They are being replaced with commonlandscaping trees.  An example is the removal of one ofthese species from my family home in Grantsburg by the newowner of the home.  That was a 90 ft. high tree that was 5 feetin diameter at chest level.
David Strang.