[Magdalen] Redundant?

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 05:01:23 UTC 2018

In one of the periodic newsletters from the "Daughter of Solesmes"Clear Creek Benedictine Abbey in Oklahoma, USA, there is apicture of their community Solemn High Mass, which I know tobe in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite ("Tridentine").

There is the mitred abbott celebrating with crozier nearby at theready, deacon and subdeacon.  There are also half a dozen priestsin chasubles standing in no particular order at the periphery of thealtar party.  They are all making motions with their hands and armsas though they were concelebrating.

My question is:  Isn't that a bizarre  mixture of the Old and New RomanRites?  A friend mentioned to me that he had seen a similarblending of rites at the Saint Gregory's Abbey (TEC) in Michigan.

I know the Benedictines sometimes get away with liturgical irregularities,and maybe this is one of them.

Liturgical persons want to know.

David Strang.