[Magdalen] RIP Billy Graham, 99.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 21 17:28:26 UTC 2018

>>>I was very skeptical of televangelists. Graham seemed like the real deal to me.<<<

I can't recall the details exactly, but I think the book was called "The Preachers" or somesuch, a sweeping review of televangelists at the end of the 1970s or maybe 1980 or shortly thereafter.  It was in my high school library, I read it, and in my youthful inability to be truly objective about such things, I nonetheless couldn't help but be struck by the forthright honesty in which the author told all theirs stories warts and all, and how only one, and I mean ONE, came out, literally, squeaky clean as all hell.  Almost like the author found it begrudgingly difficult to admit, but honest critic he was, and so he did.  That one was Billy Graham.  The one fact that stuck out to me like a lightning rod was how Billy actually took a salary (a big one, no doubt, but still) along with everyone else, and everything else was funneled back into the ministry, apparently transparently.

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.
"...[My mouth is a] shithole..." -- 45th US President.