[Magdalen] Florida school shootings

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Thu Feb 22 13:27:51 UTC 2018

I heard with horror of the latest school shooting. That is awful - and
prayers go out to all those who this has touched.

What I find more horrifying is the reaction of President Trump when he
said at a meeting with people affected by such shootings that teachers
should be trained to have and be able to use concealed guns in school.

Of course as I am British, I fail to understand the US government and
NRA insistence on the right to bear arms. I have never handled a firearm
of any sort and have never had a desire to do so. Yes, I have
countersigned applications from my former parishioners to be licensed to
hold firearms - almost entirely in connection with their farming
activities. (Incidentally, I am mystified that British law allows me as
a minister of religion to countersign applications for a firearms
certificate, but does not allow me to countersign a passport
application  because I have n o passport and the countersignatory for a
passport has to give her/her passport number.

I hope and pray that somehow the US finds a way of controlling
possession of firearms more sensibly.

--
God bless

Michael Bishop