[Magdalen] "Salinas to Monterey" train?

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 28 19:30:31 UTC 2018

>>>By the way I thought of you the other week. Michael Portillo, a former
UK politician, does programmes about railways and one week he was in
California with one of his stops being at Salinas to go to Monterey, the
birthplace of the short-lived Republic of California.<<<

It sunk in eventually, that he was merely visiting Salinas before heading over to Monterey via automobile certainly.  Ain't no rail service between here and there, and I don't think ever was.

I do recall, Roger, when you snuck through Salinas that time on the dear ol' Coast Starlight and only mentioned it afterward.  (I'll get over it, I'm sure. <wink> )  I don't, however, recall if the major renovation of the station had been completed, or even started, at that time.  I can say, now it's done, that it's nothing like it was.  Quite slick.  I preferred the old, cruddy version, but that's just me.  It was there that Everett saw his first real live train, when he was about 4, I think.  I had to sit with him on the very edge of the waiting area holding him like a straight jacket he was so excited.  And when the rails started squealing from the south and the warning light went on, I nearly had to lay on top of him to keep him from running down the tracks to greet it.

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.
"...[My mouth is a] shithole..." -- 45th US President.