[Magdalen] DNA story

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 23:08:27 UTC 2018

At this point, it is not at all unusual for people to be connected with
completely unanticipated relatives.  I know of a few cases myself, and the
story of Lynn Ronkainen quite clearly hinges on just such an instance.

Not too many people are in these accessible data bases, in terms of the
mass of people alive, and that is why your chances of finding someone else
that way are slim, but the numbers have been climbing, and so it is that
someone's DNA can be in the system and then markers flag it as being
similar to another which turns out to be a very close relationship not
formerly known.  Yes it is now risen to the point where it is not what we
would call commonplace, but it is happening on a pretty regular basis.
I'd say that practically everyone who is affiliated with some genealogical
society or club at this point probably knows of someone who is in that
situation.  If you find it, there's not much doubt; it's just still
relatively rare to find it. My spouse can explain all of this much better
than I. She's gotten very savvy with regard to all things related to
genealogy. A librarian and certified archivist whose mom and dad were both
scientifically trained, egads!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford