[Magdalen] Our "sh*thole" president.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 14:25:19 UTC 2018

Rachel Maddow also did not use an asterisk, or a bleep, the first time she
spoke about this last night. You could tell how angry she was, although she
was very controlled. Likewise Joy Reid, who was filling in for Chris Hayes
(he's getting some paternity leave). Joy is of Congolese and Guyanese
parentage, so you can imagine how she feels about this. Joy may have used a
bleep; I only heard the last part of her program driving home from
religious instruction. Lawrence also declined to use the direct quote,
although growing up on Boston's streets you know he probably heard and used
it in his younger days; however, his anger came through in another way--the
Boston accent showed out occasionally, which it only does when he's mad.

I'm appalled but not surprised. The short-fingered vulgarian, as Eric+ has
occasionally referred to him, probably talks this way all the time. In
other words, it's normal, and what he says publicly is not.

/getting off the soapbox before I fall off