[Magdalen] Our "sh*thole" president.

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Fri Jan 12 20:40:10 UTC 2018

The US has never come to terms with immigration or immigrants, period. Used
to be that “no Irish need apply.” Italians were all mafia and smelled like
garlic. My dear brother used to call Catholics “mackerel snappers.” Chinese
who came to work on the railroads were lynched. WWII era Jews were turned
away from our very shores, even though we knew they were returning to
certain extermination. It’s a dark, pervasive part of our history, despite
“Give me your tired, your poor...”

What Trump forgets is that most of the places that immigrants have ever
come from were shitholes, for most of the immigrants, anyway. Ireland was a
shithole. England was a shithole for Puritans and non-Anglicans. Post-WWI
Germany was a shithole. What about low caste Indians or Asian peasants? I
think most immigrants are picking up their lives and leaving all they ever
knew, to get away from bad things. Yeah, they come here hoping for
opportunity and second chances. But if things were dandy where they were,
they would’ve stayed there. What an embarrassment. When I travel abroad, I
may say I’m Canadian!

--
Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle