[Magdalen] Yesterday's (today's, tomorrow's) s*lf-*d*t*ng discussion.

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 13:23:52 UTC 2018

Back around the time the movie Cabaret was released,
I happened to fall into a conversation with two linguists
who’d been living & studying language in Iceland.

In the movie, there’s a scene where Sally Bowles, sitting on the edge of
her bed, yells “Shit!”

This turned out to be untranslatable because Icelanders didn’t use
excremental descriptions as swear words, considering bodily functions just
a normal part of life. So her swear was turned into an elaborate curse,
literally a curse, on her enemy’s family, damning him and his parents and
grandparents to permanent torture in hell.

Swearing seems to be entirely cultural!
-M