[Magdalen] snow daze

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 17 00:02:39 UTC 2018

On 16/01/2018 22:48, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> No snow plows here. During one storm 29 years ago when I first moved
> here the greater metro area paid 5 million$ for sand for the roads -
> so  many overpasses on the expressways and on local roads because we
> have so many large ditches and waterways that ice over quickly and are
> bad places to wipe out. I'm hoping it starts warming by Wednesday.

During earlier trips to the USA I had seen plenty of warning signs
"Bridge ices before road" but until my drive from Tennessee to Louisiana
last January I had not realised the significance of this. There I was
driving down the Interstate and then I saw a bridge with very clear
tyre-tracks through the ice so I kept in them until on solid ground on
the other side. Later I met thick ice across the carriageway. I had
never seen ploughing of ice rather than snow. The traffic was held up
because of a crash on the Interstate heading North but fortunately I was
able to head off South and when I entered LA the conditions improved
dramatically. I do not want to encounter conditions like that again.

Roger