[Magdalen] weird Southern culture

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 13:30:15 UTC 2018

North Florida is a little like Maine. The wealthy non-locals live along the
coast, while the poorer locals live inland. There’s an invisible but very
real wall somewhere. Like the neighborhoods in Boston, although I can see
those invisible walls, having lived among them and crossed back&forth for
so long.

But two things I notice about the white locals: lots of them smoke. And
lots of them carry guns (if all those NRA stickers are to be taken
seriously). It actually seems to be a class thing. Firearms are expensive.
Very strange to me, very alien.
-M