[Magdalen] Budgets Question

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:24:56 UTC 2018

Marion> My fellow warden sees it as patting ourselves on the back.

Well, there is the element of 'tithing' to the community, when possible. My
previous rector (present at the Building Fund work around, which the more I
think of it was endorsed by the diocese as a way of 'growing' the church)
had a serious leaning toward spending at least 10% of our annual stewardship
collection on outreach in the community and beyond. Our ECW (Episcopal
Church Women) also had a hefty budget that was 'self funded' (from an annual
craft show/lunch/other stuff extravaganza) from which they donated 50% into
outreach on behalf of the ECW (sometimes something the Rector drew our
attention to) and the balance mostly to in-reach - babysitting costs for
Sunday morning 7-12 noon, all three or two priest's discretionary fund
donations (generous) - not the only source and other diocesan women's
projects.  I was blessed with this model, which no longer exists at that
church due to several factors like ageing, people moving or leaving and last
but certainly NOT least the heavy hand of the rector who has now been there
for 12 years (can it be??), and realize that it is not at all the norm here.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

"Mercy and compassion are more than personal options. They are the antidotes
to that fear and hatred." Mark Singel