[Magdalen] Travel Plans

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 24 12:09:27 UTC 2018

On 24/01/2018 03:59, Ann Markle wrote:
> Definitely spend a little time in Barcelona, see Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's
> cathedral) and the black madonna of Montserrat (near Barcelona).

Sagrada Familia is due to be completed in 2026 but it's a lot more
complete than it was a few years ago. A niece and her new husband went
then and were disappointed because so much was covered with builders'
hoardings but that is no longer the case. Yes, there are still some
hoardings as it is a building site but you can appreciate its grandeur.
I would recommend an English language guided tour which not only means
skipping the line for tickets but the guide draws attention to much of
the symbolism. If you get a morning tour then after the official tour
you can continue your exploration.

English cities tend to be more compact than US ones and the public
transportation is better as well. Most will have a pass at reasonable
cost that lets you ride the bus and metro without having to buy
individual tickets for each journey and they will often give discounts
at attractions as well.

Roger