[Magdalen] The latest of Prayer Book Revision

John Robison friarjohn00 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 22:23:31 UTC 2018

The HoB sent this piece of substitute legislation to the HoD:

https://www.vbinder.net/floor_amendments/84?house=hb&lang=en

The Text:
Floor Amendment 0084 to resolution A068
Proposed by The Rt. Rev. C. Andrew Doyle

*Resolved, the House of Deputies concurring, That the 79th General
Convention, pursuant to Article X of the Constitution, authorize the
ongoing work of liturgical and Prayer Book revision for the future of God’s
mission through the Episcopal branch of the Jesus movement. And, that it do
so upon the core theological work of loving, liberating, life-giving
reconciliation and creation care; and be it further*

*Resolved, that our methodology be one of a dynamic process for discerning
common worship, engaging all the baptized, while practicing accountability
to The Episcopal Church; and be it further*

*Resolved, That the 79th General Convention create a Task Force on
Liturgical and Prayer Book Revision (TFLPBR), the membership of which will
be jointly appointed by the Presiding Bishop and the President of the House
of Deputies, and will report to the appropriate legislative committee(s) of
the 80th General Convention, ensuring that diverse voices of our church are
active participants in this liturgical revision by constituting a group
with leaders who represent the expertise, gender, age, theology, regional,
and ethnic diversity of the church, to include, 10 laity, 10 priests or
deacons, and 10 Bishops; and be it further*

*Resolved, That this Convention memorialize the 1979 Book of Common Prayer
as a Prayer Book of the church preserving the psalter, liturgies, The
Lambeth Quadrilateral, Historic Documents, and Trinitarian Formularies
ensuring its continued use; and be it further*

*Resolved, That this church continue to engage the deep Baptismal and
Eucharistic theology and practice of the 1979 Prayer Book; and be it
further*

*Resolved, That bishops engage worshiping communities in experimentation
and the creation of alternative texts to offer to the wider church, and
that each diocese be urged to create a liturgical commission to collect,
reflect, teach and share these resources with the TFLPBR; and be it further*

*Resolved, That the TFLPBR in consultation with the Standing Commission on
Structure, Governance, Constitution and Canons is directed to propose to
the 80th General Convention revisions to the Constitution and Canons to
enable The Episcopal Church to be adaptive in its engagement of future
generations of Episcopalians, multiplying, connecting, and disseminating
new liturgies for mission, attending to prayer book revision in other
provinces of the Anglican Communion; and be it further*

*Resolved, That liturgical and Prayer Book revision will continue in
faithful adherence to the historic rites of the Church Universal as they
have been received and interpreted within the Anglican tradition of 1979
Book of Common Prayer, mindful of our existing ecumenical commitments,
while also providing space for, encouraging the submission of, and
facilitating the perfection of rites that will arise from the continual
movement of the Holy Spirit among us and growing insights of our Church;
and be it further*

*Resolved, That such revision utilize the riches of Holy Scripture and our
Church’s liturgical, cultural, racial, generational, linguistic, gender,
physical ability, class and ethnic diversity in order to share common
worship; and be it further*

*Resolved, That our liturgical revision utilize inclusive and expansive
language and imagery for humanity and divinity; and be it further*

*Resolved, That our liturgical revision shall incorporate and express
understanding, appreciation, and care of God’s creation; and be it further*

*Resolved, That our liturgical revision take into consideration the use of
emerging technologies which provide access to a broad range of liturgical
resources; and be it further*

*Resolved, That the SCLM create a professional dynamic equivalence
translation of The Book of Common Prayer 1979 and the Enriching Our Worship
Series in Spanish, French, and Haitian Creole; and that the SCLM diversify
the publication formats of new resources, liturgies and rites to include
online publishing; and be it further*

*Resolved, That this church ensure that, at each step of the revision
process, all materials be professionally translated into English, Spanish,
French, and Haitian Creole, following the principles of dynamic equivalence
and that no new rites or liturgical resources be approved by this church
until such translations are secured; and be it further*

*Resolved, That the TFLPBR shall report to the 80th General Convention; and
be it further*

*Resolved*, *That there being $201,000 in the proposed budget for the
translation of liturgical materials, that the Executive Council be
encouraged to identify additional funds in the amount of $200,000 to begin
this liturgical revision.*
This replaces the more troubelsom (to many) A068 with a different process.

--
The Rev. John R. Robison

The Old Catholic Church, Provence of the United States.
www.TOCCUSA.org

"Among the repulsions of atheism for me has been its drastic
uninterestingness as an intellectual position." - John Updike

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:
The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that
often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading
to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with
the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."  ~John Rogers