[Magdalen] Prayer Request

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:58:11 UTC 2018

Pubbies,

I made an oopsy here. Carlos is Boogie's friend's older brother. He is
already in Mexico at the behest of his parents, where he has been picked up
by and is playing on, a pro soccer team. (As Boogie said, "There goes OUR
soccer team!" Carlos would have been a senior this year, but the Mexican
school system is different) Boogie's friend's name is--wait for the
irony--Jesus.

Also include in prayers for those who don't feel safe in this country my
friend Tracy, who had a horrifying encounter with police night before last
in Indiana. Tracy is a slender blonde white woman. She was going to pick up
her partner at work and suddenly found herself being blue-lighted by police
on a dark road. As we women are taught to do, she called dispatch and told
them she was driving to a well-lit place, which happened to be her
partner's place of work, just a few hundred yards away. She pulled into the
driveway there and they sere pointing guns at her, screaming for her to get
out with her hands up and walk backward towards them. She said they even
screamed at her for turning her head to see where she was going. They held
guns on her the whole time and searched her car (without a warrant, saying
they didn't need one "because ehe had left the door open". ?????? Searched
her, patted her down thoroughly, asked her if she had any drugs or weapons,
asked for her whereabouts, etc. Only then did they ask for her ID!
Meanwhile the plant manager had called for her partner to come out, saying
it was an emergence (I guess all he say was the blue lights) and when he
came out the police pointed guns at him and told him to get back inside,
then asked Tracy if he was "involved in the crime". She asked what crime
and only then was told that her car matched the description of one used in
a crime; however the one they were looking for had Indianapolis plates and
hers are Terre Haute. Since it was end of shift other people had come out
so one of her partner's friends apparently video'd the whole thing. Tracy
had also left her phone on connected to dispatch and it connects by
Bluetooth to her car radio, so she has a record of that. She said she is
just glad she hadn't already picked up her partner and his friends because
the friends are black..."Can you just imagine???" she said to me yesterday.
Anyway, the police, with very bad grace and seeming quite disappointed,
charged her with failure to stop for an officer because she drove to a
lighted area. Well, what reasonable woman doesn't?  She's called her lawyer
and will fight that every inch of the way.
/end of rant