[Magdalen] Welsh Pie

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 16:04:45 UTC 2018

Nestled into this county in NE Pennsylvania USA is the largest
enclave of Americans of Welsh descent.  It's not large compared
to the 80% Slavic contingent, but as the Welsh in the USA, it's
sizable.

Such as Welsh cakes are commonly available, but the last
restaurant serving Welsh pie in this region has closed and
the building razed.

The restaurant business always strikes me as transitory, but
there have been closings of four family restaurants in this
neighborhood, with a relocation of the two fancier restaurants.
Two of them include the razing of the buildings as well
as the closure.

All of them had a unique niche, and I am sorry to see them go.
I guess people can't make such small operations economically viable
anymore.

For perhaps related reasons, five classical Midwestern steak houses
in the city I called home for twenty years, Eau Claire, WI, have
disappeared since I left there 32 years ago.  Boring chain restaurants
are all that remain.

David S.