[Magdalen] (non) drive-thru burgers

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 31 21:04:45 UTC 2018

On 31/07/2018 21:39, Eleanor Braun wrote:
> It's delightful to see all the love for an American style burger, but,
> please, why do they use American "cheese".  It's not really cheese.
> England makes a number of flavourful cheeses.
>
> http://mentalfloss.com/article/65003/what-exactly-american-cheese

For convenience they need something presliced so regular cheese is not
really suitable. That really means processed cheese to get something
that can be sliced easily and I am not convinced that even the British
products currently available are markedly superior to American cheese
which I have had - I decline to say "tasted". Regular cheese has a
texture which is not amenable to making thin slices commercially but if
the food scientists could find a technique to produce a slicable product
with flavour that would certainly be a winner in my book.

Roger