[Magdalen] praising the Liberal Arts

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 11:28:51 UTC 2018

And I remember that in cultures where dowries are expected
boy babies are preferred, leading to a skewed ratio of men and women
in that society. And it’s not been limited to India and Asia. Poor
Elizabeth
Bennet, one of five sisters, suffered, too.

Part of the plot of The Bostonians turns on the astonishing arrival of a
young and good-looking survivor of the Civil War.
In Little Women, all men are absent except for the very old and very young.
One of the March girls finds a husband in Europe, another marries when
her beau returns safely from his deployment.
-M