[Magdalen] Jeff Sessions Brought Up On Church Charges

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 23:10:28 UTC 2018

Boy Scout Troop 123, of which I was a member until I tired of winter
camping, met in St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Rochester, Michigan.
Scout Sunday one year was my first chance to experience any non-RC, let
alone Methodist, service. My impression was that it seemed like a fairly
drab meeting with a printed agenda: minister talks, we sing a hymn,
minister talks about something else, introducing Mr. Somebody who talks
about a boring-sounding event, a kid plays a french horn solo, we sing
another hymn, there's a sermon, a hymn while we give money, and then we're
done and the organist plays. I had the feeling a liturgy might happen but
never did. Just felt like a meeting, not church (although there was a Bible
reading).

My Methodist friends in the troop told me about their experience in some
other friends' RC church: "Everybody prays out of some monthly magazine."
Um, that's the Monthly Missalette, OK? They laughed at the
standing-sitting-kneeling as well.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA