[Magdalen] a way to support refugees

Suzie Buchanan buchanan.suzie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 02:20:27 UTC 2018

A few years ago, while I was still a rector in Richmond, I had said "yes"
to an unexpected request to sponsor a refugee family that was arriving in 2
days and didn't have anyone to work with them.  Mother and father had fled
certain massacre in Rwanda and landed in a refugee camp in the Congo.  17
years and 6 children later (youngest being one-year old twins) and they
finally qualified to come to the US.

That simple (and scared silly) "yes" has led to an amazing ministry as the
Central African refugee community has found each other and worked to
support each other.  That first family we sponsored . . . after 9 months of
struggling to find rides in the middle of the night so the father could get
to his job at the meat packing plant 45 minutes away  . . . he now is the
owner of a car and provides rides to work for newer arrivals.  It is
amazing to watch.  But they still struggle so much.  Transportation.  Job
skills. Child care.  Language barriers.  Do you want to help?  Buy a
bracelet, and wear it with pride, knowing that the money you spent is
helping keep refugee families care for each other and start a new life.

https://shopkamili.com/
>From the website:
Empowering refugees

Welcome to Kamili: a partnership between resilient refugees from war-torn
Central Africa and people like you who are encouraging them to succeed in
their new home in Richmond, Virginia. By purchasing these bracelets, you
are providing refugees with flexible, dignified jobs crafting handmade
jewelry. Wear them as a reminder of our collective power, strength and
unity.