[Magdalen] Pizza Spices.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 11 23:42:40 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----

We must be loyal to our roots yours in Michigan and mine in Chicago. I think about the time I became aware of Sicilian pizza I recalled that my adoptive grandmother and babysitter (actually we played 3 handed pinochle while my parents went out galavanting) asked "What is pizza." She was a real native Chicagoan born in 1893 on the then semi rural south side at 86th and Halsted.

They were German. She was among the first to attend the first Mass at St Kilian's in 1905. Before then they had gone to St. Leo's around 78th Street.

I thought she was old until I met one of my communion calls at St. Mary's founded in 1886 at 137th and Leyden. They lived behind the rectory. The couple was in their middle 90's. They also attended the first Mass at St. Mary's in 1886. Before then the wife (who was local; I don't know where her husband came from) when she was a child would take a  horse and wagon and go to St. Benedict's in Blue Island  (which is about 120th and Western or so) but closer east.

St Mary's was also a German parish (St. Kilian's and St. Leo were not exactly) She told me that she couldn't get into her grandmother (or mother's--it's been 40 years since I heard this story without saying Gelobt Sei Jesus Christus--Praised be Jesus Christ. That is a traditional greeting among Eastern and Western Catholics and Orthodox. The Poles say to this day. I always or frequently began my homily at St. Florian's with Praised be Jesus Christ in POlish (phonetically it is niek benje pokvialoni  Jesus Christus/ It's easier in Ukrainian or Slavonic. Slava Isusa Christu, Slava na vieki!

I heard from the lips of the elderly traditions that are not over 100 years old. I feel very fortunate!

Joe