[Magdalen] around our house

Judy Fleener fleenerj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:10:36 UTC 2018

 It is still quite cold and blustery in Western Michigan.  Our congregation
is in its third search in ten years after a 5 year and a 2 1/2 year
incumbency.  Neither priest gave us much.  We are an aging congregation in
the rust belt.  Now we are searching for a 3/4 time priest.

Construction is booming in the center of Muskegon.  There are 6 projects
visible from my window.  In 1971 the center of the city was leveled to
build an enclosed mall.  The mall was dismantled in the late 90s and
downtown Muskegon became a desert.  We live in one of the few buildings
left standing, a YMCA rehabbed into apartments and then condos.  Across
from us is a development of townhouses.  11 at this date all occupies
except two under construction.  Nest to us is an 80 unit building with some
senior housing some market rate.  Two other larger building opening soon,
one and 8 story bank building and the other a 6 story. Because our
population grows in the summer, the city erected 8 small shed/shacks,
called chalets to rent to small retailer for the summer.  This was so
successful last summer, four more are being built.

Bill and I (but I picked) just bought a Jeep Renegade, bright yellow.  I
now have a pink streak in my hair.  I must be 80.  I am.

On Easter Day Bill will leave active ministry,  He has been serving a
congregation 50 miles from here as an every Sunday supply.  They are
planning a wonderful celebration.  It is the time of his 87th birthday, his
64th anniversary of his ordination and his leaving this congregation.  All
four of our sons are planning to be there.  One did express doubts, he
posited that this might be an April Fool's joke.

--
Judy Fleener, ObJN,SSH
Western Michigan