[Magdalen] Maundy Thoughts.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 30 03:00:25 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----

In my liturgical tour guide (Mother Egregia started as a mistype of Egeria the Nun of the 4th cenury)I have always recommended the Roman Holy Thursday, the Greek or Arab Good Friday and the Slavonic Midnight Service of Pascha.

I think the Roman with its white vestments,Gloria and bell pealing with the Eucharistic Processions and the Stripping of the Altars followed by Compline is the most pleasing option.

I understand the Episcopal option which may tend to the Roman depending on how high the orientation. (I expect Our Savior's in Virginia HIghlands took this option)

The Lamentations with the Greek and Arabs (and Romanians) are wonderful. It is one of the occasions that Greeks and Arabs sing full throatedly.

Noone does Pascha like the Slavs  (Russians have it down pat, but so do theRusyns and Bulgars)
There is something about hearing that first Voskresenaja Christu Spase or Your Resurrection, O Christ, starting with the pianissimo clergyin 4 part malethen the thrusting open of the Roayl Doors with the full choir and congregation and bells

Now in Moscow they have missed the point. They do all these things, but only the clergy and assistants march outside around the church and the people stay inside.

The Oca and ROCOr in the USA and abroad do it right. I think the Patriarch of Moscow took notes on all the mistakes of Roman Triumphalism and incorporated into his Patriarchal Cathedral.

There are times when the Moscow Cathedral is moving--especially in a chlildren's service where the Patriarch actually smiles at the kids.

Hope you have a blessed and spiritual HOly Week and Pascha!

Joe