[Magdalen] Temps Perdue

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 1 05:33:19 UTC 2018

Your kindergarten experience, Doc Strang, for all its 1941-42'ness, extended, at least somewhat, to Salinas in 1970.  I too was part of the morning regimen (I always wondered just who it was who came into "our space" when we left), and we too had the requisite whole milk, though I don't recall if it was a graham cracker, or if it was after the requisite "nap" or before.

My experience is as real to me today as it was then.  First, I recall we were "lulled to sleep" with (of all things) a record of B J Thomas's lp of "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head".  Second, I recall all too clearly that my "own blanket" was a bit of carpet provided by my family neighbor who was a carpet layer by profession, and that it had to be stored separately because it wasn't storable like a blanket.

My kindergarten time (and a few grades beyond that), by the way, was still when teachers (only the female ones, though) were thoroughly accomplished piano players.  God, what singing I experienced between kindergarten and second grade.

Children remembering anything?  Children remember EVERYTHING!

>>>My beloved plunked down a glass of milk and a graham cracker
as a bedtime snack.last night.

And there it was:  A flashback to, of all things, to my kindergarten
year, 1941 - 1942.  It was during that year that Pearl Harbor
occurred, an event that I remember vividly, even though I was
barely four years old.

My mother sent me off, dutifully, to kindergarten which was five
days a week for, I think, 9 AM to 1 PM.  I recall liking the
experience, the socialization, and the chance to learn to read and
write (print).  Midway through that daily routine was a little nap
(we each had our own blanket, and simply spread out on the floor).

The nap was followed by my favorite part of the experience:  we
each got a little carton of whole milk, and a graham cracker.

And so the flashback.  Who says young children can't remember
anything?<<<

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.
"...[My mouth is a] shithole..." -- 45th US President.