[Magdalen] Alfie Evans has died

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue May 1 13:52:22 UTC 2018

When I was the on-call hospital chaplain we would sometimes get a call from Security: “Uh, Chaplain...we have a situation.”  I once said, “Do you know how we hate to hear that?”
It was usually something where they really didn’t want to arrest someone (obviously not dangerous situations) and hoped we could help find another way.
The one that sticks in my mind was an elderly woman who was refusing to leave the hospital. She was in a wheelchair and wanted to see her son, who was a patient. She had been up to see him and had caused so much trouble that they banned her from the floor. So she was camped in the lobby.  We weren’t sure whether they were homeless; there had been some suggestion that they might be living in their car, but we didn’t know.
It got to be 10 or 11pm, and we were getting nowhere. Finally the night administrator came down and said if she didn’t leave, he was calling the police. As security was escorting her out the door—I think they might have called a cab— he got a funny look on his face and said, “Wait! IS THAT OUR WHEELCHAIR??” Sure enough, across the back in bold letter were the words UVA MEDICAL CENTER.!
She got out of it and was perfectly fine. We figured she had commandeered it for its sympathy factor!

Then there was the homeless man who came to the ER and asked if he could leave a couple of his bags in the family waiting room. The social worker agreed. After awhile the man checked himself out and left.
I knew nothing about it and went later to bring a family into the room—and when I opened the door, I discovered it was full—14 suitcases, overnight bags, a trunk......!
We finally got everything into another room, and I started looking through the stuff to find some name or address. Found some papers from the Salvation Army shelter indicating that he had been evicted and couldn’t come back! The social worker and I made a bet that he would show up Monday morning for his stuff and be mad that we had moved it. That was exactly what happened! I wasn’t there to see it...