[Magdalen] Alfie Evans has died

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Thu May 3 04:07:53 UTC 2018

I doubt if anyone ever got his brain back after it turned into fluid.  I know brains are incredibly good at coping, but Alfie’s condition was incompatible with life.  Period. Remember, he had been deteriorating for more than a year.

What really bothers me is that people like Gingrich are using this tragedy — and ignoring pretty much ALL the facts — to inflame opposition to single-payer health insurance.  Alfie got superb care at one of the best pediatric hospitals in the world, without regard to his parents’ finances.  Would that have happened in the U.S.?  And the child’s interests were defended by his own legal representative.

Nobody — ESPECIALLY his medical caregivers — wanted Alfie to die.  There was no arrogant brutality, only grief and compassion.  He just couldn’t be saved, not by Italian doctors, not by anyone.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain