[Magdalen] How's everyone?

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:16:12 UTC 2018

I’m slugging away in Port Hope as a Warden and all that comes with that.  Also sing in the choir, man the office one morning a week, produce the weekly Cat’s Meow what’s-happening to be slipped in to the bulletin, maintain the readers rota, attend morning prayer three mornings a week and centering prayer once a week, do the PoP at the weekly mass, and anything else that comes by.

Otherwise, each week I go to the Food Bank at my previous church in Oshawa to help with that.  The Marion Singers are still active and I drive into the big city to rehearse each week; we have a concert on average once a month.  The next one in a couple of weeks is way the hell and gone on the other side of Toronto.  These several-hour  long distance hauls home again to Port Hope are ceasing to be fun, but I tell myself that at least I don’t have to preach the next day (but that’s more a sorrow than a plus).  I am giving more and more thought to ‘retiring’ from that on my 80th birthday in October.  It’s been a  good run.

April was a differently busy month that started with my weekly visits to Jim in palliative.  Then he was suddenly hit with a pneumonia-type infection that took him away after a week of 24-7 with his two daughters.  The time before the funeral was a blur of emails and renewed contacts from all over the place and breathed life into a number of old friendships that had fallen by the wayside over time.  But you all know how that goes.

Finally the weather is better and the garden has come to life. Last week I gave myself a treat.  Two young men created a properly- done water feature and I am now delighted to have a stream curving downhill over numerous drops.  It’s busy and noisy and wonderful  as it descends to its pondless finish that does actually have shallow water on it.  Lots of boulders and mossy log accents.  It’s a total thrill.  Talk about the living waters!

My granddaughter is expecting in July so that will make me a Great Gran.  How did that happen?!

So that’s some of what I’m up to.

Marion, a pilgrim

Sent from Mail for Windows 10