[Magdalen] How's everyone?

Rick Mashburn ricklmashburn at gmail.com
Fri May 11 06:45:15 UTC 2018

It's been great to hear from so many people. I think we too often forget
that this is supposed to be a community and we need to share our daily
lives with one another. At least from time to time. So, it's great to hear
about the good, the not-so-good, the successes and challenges that you all
have shared today.

Alex and I are trying to figure out what to do for our third anniversay.
It's hard to believe that so much time has already passed since we loaded
up and drove to Santa Fe. We were married there on May 19, 2015. (Our
church ceremoney was six months later at St. Paul's San Antonio.)

Alex is gearing up for finals week at St. George Episcopal School. His 6th
and 7th graders have worked really hard on Spanish this year and they are
all getting really ready for a break. My job at USAA continues to
push/pull/stretch me in ways I never imagined. But, I feel really good
about my future there. I'm very grateful for the opporunity and plan to
retire from there in another 10-12 years.

Our big focus right now is our impending trip to Europe. We leave San
Antonio on June 8. We will be in London from June 9 to 14 and in the
Cotswolds from June 14 to 16. We travel to Cascais (suburb of Lisbon) on
June 16. On June 23, we get our rental car and drive from Lisbon down to
the Algarve coast of Portugal then on to Spain. We will be in Seville for 3
nights and Granada for 2 nights. For our London stay, we found a lovely
1-bedroom flat in Pimlico on Airbnb and an indulgent country-house hotel in
Tetbury for our time in the Cotswolds. We are staying with a group of 7
friends in a large house in Cascais during our week there we're looking at
other Airbnb properties for our time in Spain. We are both so excited to
make this trip! (Travel tips are requested for any stage of our journey!)

On a scarier note, Malcolm and I had a very unfortunate experience last
week. Those of you on Facebook will have already heard about this. We were
attacked by a swarm of bees while I took him for his afternoon walk last
Thursday. They were all over both of us as we tried to make our way back to
our house. We were both stung multiple times but thankfully neither of us
had a severe allergic reaction. I still have knots in my neck and earlobes
where I was stung. Malcolm was stung in his mouth because he was trying to
fight back the only way he knew how. Thankfully, his vet and my doc tell me
we're both going to be ok. But, the attack was like being in a horror
movie!!!

I hope you don't mind such a long post. I know I don't participate as much
as I have in the past but this place still matters a great deal to me and
you folks are still important. I'm sorry the timing didn't work our for a
listmeet during our European trip but hopefully something will work out in
the near future.

Peace, Rick
San Antonio