[Magdalen] 14 November

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 15 18:02:09 UTC 2018

On 15/11/2018 16:07, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Thank you, Ferdinand. I've always felt that the Scots took that, at least
> sub rosa, as another opportunity to stick it to the Brits. <g>

On a point of accuracy, Scotland is part of Great Britain so the Scots
are Brits. At the time the law required all clergy ordained in the
Church of England to swear allegiance to the monarch, which Seabury
would not do. By the time Bishops White of Pennsylvania and Provoost of
New York were consecrated in 1787 Parliament had changed the law so the
Archbishop of Canterbury could preside at their consecration.

Roger