[Magdalen] Brexit (was Re: 14 November)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 18 00:10:27 UTC 2018

On 17/11/2018 13:26, ME Michaud wrote:
> BTW how are you guys handling the Brexit madness?

Madness is the appropriate word in my view.

> A couple of my friends seem to have their hair all aflame,
> and one (an American citizen) is trying to sell his house and move into a
> rental before the real estate market tanks.
> The perils of living and working abroad, I guess.
> And reminiscent of colonialism (the natives are restless).

In reality there is little the ordinary citizen can do unless and until
those in authority are prepared to admit publicly that the situation is
a mess. There are many (including me) who say that the current proposal
is unacceptable but we are divided into two groups. One wants a clearer
break from the EU and to negotiate what they see as a better agreement,
but that would not be agreed by the other 27 countries in the EU. Others
of us say that the only sensible approach would be for the politicians
to admit that they cannot deliver what they interpret as the result of
the referendum and to see if we can stay in the EU.

Meanwhile we sit and wait to see what transpires in Westminster and
whether they will bow to the demands for another popular vote.

Roger