[Magdalen] how I hate this weather

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 22:21:26 UTC 2018

Well, that is a different story.  I wonder why anyone would stop it up. If
you really wanted to use the fireplace, you could probably get a chimney
cleaning company to come out and remove whatever is stopping it up. That's
a shame , tough...

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's the thing, though: it's a real fireplace with a chimney, but the
> chimney is stopped up (with insulation, I think). The owners' manual to the
> gas fire gizmo says it should be OK with any house's natural air leakage,
> and that made me feel super-negative about ever turning the thing on. :)
> We'll leave it unused and really clean for the next tenants if we ever move
> out of here (I'd move for the sole purpose of gaining an in-unit clothes
> washer and dryer...with the wonders of the internet, living in a far suburb
> wouldn't be such a bad thing, I'm thinking).
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that, if a gas log fireplace is installed on a “real”
> > fireplace, which means it’s vented to the outside, you don’t have to
> worry
> > about carbon monoxide.
> >
> > > On Nov 20, 2018, at 10:00 AM, Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Our apartment has a real fireplace fitted with real-looking ceramic
> > "coals"
> > > and "logs" but we've never felt OK about running it, both for the
> effect
> > on
> > > the gas bill and for any carbon monoxide or other gas mishaps that
> could
> > > conceivably happen. We do have some lovely decorative candle holders
> > > instead, to provide at least some of the glow of a fireplace. A modern
> > > space heater fills in the gap for the coldest evenings and to satisfy
> our
> > > "toasty cat," Hermes.
> > >
> > > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 8:05 AM Marion Thompson <
> > marionwhitevale at gmail.com>

> > branches

> my
> > sitting
> > basement-less

Ruckersville, VA

*"Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great
love."*
*St. Teresa of Calcutta*