[Magdalen] The Carnival of Swing, May 29, 1938.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 9 16:29:36 UTC 2018

Described thusly by Scott Wenzel of Mosaic Records:

"Randall’s Island Carnival of Swing: 1938
If there was ever a gig, recording session or jam session I would’ve loved to attend before I was born, the famous Randall’s Island “Carnival Of Swing”, which benefited the New York Musician’s hospital fund, would be close to the top of the list.  This blockbuster event from May 29, 1938, is considered one of the first, if not the first highly attended outdoor swing/jazz concert and in attendance were such bands as those led by Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Stuff Smith, Chick Webb, Charlie Barnet, John Kirby, Bobby Hackett and many others.  The Savory Collection includes for the first time a chance to hear a snippet of the concert which was broadcast over WNEW.  Four tunes by the Basie band and one by Stuff Smith have survived, and are a part of the new Mosaic set."
-Scott Wenzel

This link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=HhPNvh4IE6M

... takes you there in a brief but enjoyable way.  And it may not have been a perfectly (sic) "integrated" experience, but do note that white folk and black folk were definitely rubbing elbows.  Music's way of breaking down barriers should never be under-estimated.

And the Mosaic "Savory Collection" set can never be advertised enough:

New York Times (top item):  https://tinyurl.com/yas28y6k
Mosaic itself:  http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=266-MD-CD

And for $99, this set by my friends at Mosaic is a bargain by any standard (well, by modern standards anyway).

Enjoy the "Carnival" Youtube clip, at the very least.

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.
"Because that's the kind of guy, I'm." -- C Reiner, "Your Show of Shows", skit: "From Here to Obscurity".