[Magdalen] Florence?

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:23:08 UTC 2018

I have another Hugo story to share.  This is a story of the innate goodness
of human beings and the desire to help people with needs.

The Monday before Hugo hit us on Thursday, September 22, 1989, my mother's
physician told us she could die any day...she had had inoperable lung
cancer for 10 months.  Early in mother's illness she made known her wishes
to die at home, in her beautiful little apartment.  My 2 sisters and I did
the necessary things to take care of her at home.  All three of us worked
and one of us lived 3 hours away, so, beginning in May, 1989, we arranged
for licensed sitters to stay with Mama from Monday mornings @ 7 AM until
Friday nights at 11 PM.  My sisters and I shared weekend duty.  As Mama got
sicker, we began doubling up.  At the last, all three of us stayed with
Mama on weekends - one was on duty, one was on call, and one was
sleeping/resting.  This was holy work.  So, this was our situation when
Hugo blew into town.  We moved Mama and her recliner to my sister's house
around the corner and Mama spent the storm jammed into a door frame in the
event damage came to the house.

Hugo devastated Summerville, along with much of the SC low country.
Summerville is known for its old trees - oaks, magnolias, pines, dogwoods -
a really lovely little wooded village.  Hugo winds came through Summerville
at about 120 mph.  We were walloped. When all was done, John and I had the
top of an oak tree through our roof...it twisted off and the winds
deposited it there.  My sister, where Mama was staying, had three trees in
her house, one cracking the I-beam of the roof.  They were wet but no one
was injured.

Hugo came at night and blew until dawn - the eye passed right over
Summerville.  We went on the front porch at halftime only to be overwhelmed
by the smell of fresh cut pine.  In the morning, our neighborhood - really
all of the village - had lost so many trees, we couldn't even see the
street from the porch (about 30 feet away).  I headed out in the direction
of my sister's house, trekking over and under and around the zillions of
trees.  We knew to call out and discovered many friends doing the same
thing.  And, then, my sister answered.  She caught me up on their damage
and that Mama was uninjured.  Joy and thankfulness overwhelmed.

Sister who lived 3 hours away called to say that her husband's company was
sending an industrial  generator to assist with Mama's care.  Later, the
Mennonites showed up.  They had gone to the fire station to ask who needed
help.  They were sent to my sister's house to dry in the roof.  As I type
this, remembering brings tears, the kind we shed when grace comes in
unexpected, undeserved ways.  I believe our nature is to be giving and
loving and do the right thing.  Sometimes in this era, it seems we may have
lost a good bit of that, but perhaps we focus on only a few of those we
hear about in the news.

(Two weeks later, the Episcopal Youth group from Ashland, VA cleaned up a
great deal of the mess in our yard.  We had lost nearly tree we had on our
once wooded lot.  At the end of that day, our associate rector officiated
at a home Eucharist in our family room.  More holy time.

Mama lived a few more weeks and died back in her beautiful little apartment.

Ginga