[Magdalen] Why the choice of Gospels today?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 20:45:34 UTC 2018

Last night I rewatched the excellent German film, Vision: From the Life of
Hildegard of Bingen, with Hildegard well played by the German Glenn Close,
Barbara Sukowa.

I want to read more of Hildegard's writings, but last night I was mainly
inspired to read the lessons for this Sunday in preparation for Mass.

And for some reason there's a choice of two Gospels this Sunday, and I
guessed wrong. I read about taking up one's cross and following Jesus, and
at Mass we heard from Mark 9:14-29 about the possessed boy and "I believe.
Help my unbelief," which was the theme of the sermon very well preached by
our rector (Patrick Raymond+). Hildegard, via the film portrayal, helped my
unbelief last night..

Anyone know why the choice this week? BTW, we use the BCP 1979 lectionary,
having never changed to RCL. Did RCL have the choice?

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA