[Magdalen] For bass sax fans (or guitar fans), (or,)...

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 23:43:48 UTC 2018

This is great, Mike! I had the fun of playing bass sax in a wind ensemble
at Michigan State U for some particular pieces on one concert. The
principal (soprano/alto) sax player, every time he arrived at rehearsal,
would have to sidle past me in the same row but never without pretending to
sit on the bell of my bass sax as though it were a toilet. :)

For some reason, I got lots of compliments when I played bass or baritone
sax, along the lines of "Clark Kent becomes Superman," mainly because I
guess I seemed more assertive on the bigger instruments. What helped me
appreciate the baritone and bass more than I had was someone's advice to
"treat it like a big alto" and forget its size. Just that change in
approach helped me sound less like a reedy tuba and to be more facile with
the keys...it took more energy to make sure all the parts moved fast
enough, so maybe that gave off the "assertive" aura.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA