[Magdalen] Fire at Notre Dame de Paris.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 14:56:31 UTC 2019

Or everything is turned sideways, so will always be a visual battle between
gothic proportions and perpendicularity and the more modern attempt at
intimacy or just newness. Gothic churches also point upward...the sheer
height, the woodwork pointing up, Norte Dame's tall processional torches
and crucifix, the organ pipes up there, etc. It irks me to see a gothic
church modernized in a way that comes off as "a bunch of stuff at floor
level"...music stands, microphones, drum set, little stools, tiny tables
with cloths and potted plants...the ceiling may as well be at 12 feet from
the floor. The building wants us to look up, so let's look up!

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA