[Magdalen] Fire at Notre Dame de Paris.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 16 15:52:37 UTC 2019

On 16/04/2019 15:56, Scott Knitter wrote:
> Or everything is turned sideways, so will always be a visual battle between
> gothic proportions and perpendicularity and the more modern attempt at
> intimacy or just newness. Gothic churches also point upward...the sheer
> height, the woodwork pointing up, Norte Dame's tall processional torches
> and crucifix, the organ pipes up there, etc. It irks me to see a gothic
> church modernized in a way that comes off as "a bunch of stuff at floor
> level"...music stands, microphones, drum set, little stools, tiny tables
> with cloths and potted plants...the ceiling may as well be at 12 feet from
> the floor. The building wants us to look up, so let's look up!

I'm one of those who think that the furnishings, the vestments and the
choreography of the liturgy should all reflect to some extent the basic
architecture of the building. There's a place for modern furnishings,
liturgy and praise bands (but not near me, thank you) but they are not
suited to a centuries old large Gothic cathedral. That demands something
big and bold.

Roger