[Magdalen] Easter Vigil Commentary.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Apr 21 14:39:26 UTC 2019

Musings:

I don't go out at night for a local Easter Vigil anymore, so I watched (TV) the entirety
of the Vigil from the (USA) National Shrine/Basilica in Washington, DC. TheLiturgy was a prime example of what Easter Vigils should strive to be.  TheBasilica Choir was larger (about 50) than usual and sang splendidly.  There was
 an orchestra of about 25 and the grand organ in the rear gallery never soundedbetter.

There were some 50 priests seated behind the altar and they concelebratedwith the Papal Nuncio who was the chief celebrant, and then advanced into thenave to make multiple stations for distribution of Communion to the packedcrowd in this largest of USA RC churches.

The transition from the semi-darkened church to the blaze of lights at theGloria was very well done.  The parts of the Ordinary were strongly tropedand very effectively so by the splendid choir.  The final offering by theBasilica Choir was the "Halleluia Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah."The local Procathedral usually throws in the Halleluia Chorus at Easter,and everyone loves it.  Corny?  Not at all.

I'm Anglican enough not to like the shimmering gold vestments of the deaconsand celibrant/bishop.  Give me old fashioned medieval style brocade.

Therewas plenty of incense even in such a large venue.

The young deacon who sang the Lumen Christi and the Exsultet  had a pleasanttenor voice, but no one ever seems to train the selected deacon in the plainchant,and there was the usual mechanical stress on every syllable of the text.

The recessional hymn was "Jesus Christ is Risen Today," and it was immediatelyfollowed by a grand rendition of the Widor Tocatta from his Fifth Organ Symphony.It was a fitting conclusion.

David Strang.