[Magdalen] Easter joy

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Apr 25 15:05:15 UTC 2019

My senior year at medical school (1961-2) coincided with much activity at Saint Francis House, whichwas essentially across University Avenue from the UW Medical Center.  Easter was late enough tobe warm and pleasant, and I was invited at the last minute to accompany some Franciscans over tothe Nashotah Theological Seminary located between Madison and Milwaukee (Wisconsin USA)for their Easter Vigil.  I only vaguely knew that such a liturgy existed, and there were zero parishesin the Madison area with scheduled Easter Vigils.  Nashotah knew what to do however!  They hadthe necessary touch of flamboyance to pull off an effective liturgy, and it blew my mind.  By thenext Easter when I was in the Twin Cities of MN USA, word had gotten around that the Vigil wasTHE Easter liturgy, and parishes were falling over themselves to schedule Vigils.  Then in thelate 1960's there were the three Vigils I attended in Germany --- at Frankfurt/M, Mainz, and thenthe heavenly Cologne.  Such memories.

Sermon for Easter Day Liturgy at a local RCC where I was singing:  "You people should havebeen here for the Vigil last night."

David Strang