[Magdalen] Salve Regina.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Aug 16 04:01:27 UTC 2019

Today is the Feast of Saint Mary the Virgin/Assumption
I watched the Pontifical Solemn High Mass from the RC National Basilicain Washington, DC USA..  The Liturgy was perfectly splendid with theexcellent Basilica Choir leading the way.(EWTN).
The final hymn was the familiar (to Roman Catholics) Salve Regina.
My companion, plus the cleaning lady and her young daughter, all sang andhummed this hymn, and I realized this was because they rememberedthe use of this hymn in the movie, "Sister Act."
However, the most splendid use of this hymn for me was on the occasion
of the local Procathedral having a Solemn Evensong on the Feast ofthe Annunciation.  The Wuinderkind O/C jazzed the hymn up with
multiple key changes, and harmonies, and the choir led thecongregation through it all.  The four manual 80+ stop pipe organat the Procathedral helped us through these paces.  RC;s inattendance were quick to admit they had never heard the Salve Reginasung so splendidly. I suspect the BVM was pleased as well.  And allthis in an Episcopal church.

David Strang.