[Magdalen] Salve Regina.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 15:40:39 UTC 2019

Grace, I believe those come from tradition and an extra-canonical Gospel of
Mary (not the one in the New New Testament edited by Colin Woodard, which
is of Mary Magdalene) which is often cited in Orthodox tradition. There are
a number of Orthodox churches named for Sts. Joachim and Anna, including
mine. I have a very sweet icon of the family which shows Mary as a young
child, perhaps a toddler, with her parents. Traditionally it is said that
the parents, being elderly and not well, realized that she and Joachim
could not raise Mary to adulthood and so brought her to the Temple at the
age of either three or six to be raised there, either to be a consecrated
virgin or until she could be betrothed to a suitable man. Of course God and
the Angel Gabriel had other plans for her :-)