[Magdalen] Salve Regina.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Aug 19 17:16:58 UTC 2019

In plainchant (Gregorian chant) there are simple and solemn versions of the Salve Regina.Anyone who sings enough chant eventually knows at least the simple version from memory.There are four of these "Marian" chants to be used liturgically according to the churchseason at the time of the Magnificat
I was trying out the acoustics in a parish church in Iphofen, Germany which I was visitingto photograph the main city gate (rodelseer Tor).  I started in singing the Salve Regina(simple version), and was startled to have two women appear out of the sacristy to join inwith me.  What fun to experience the universality of these old tunes.

David Strang