[Magdalen] Christmas Baking.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 17:18:28 UTC 2019

My mom  used to make empanadas when we had leftover ham. She modified the
recipe with tuna for Fridays when we kids had Catholic friends over.

As for Christmas stuff, Mom's sugar cookies, a wartime recipe that used
minimal sugar because of rationing, were legendary. My daughter has the
recipe and still makes them. One of my grandmothers used to send us date
balls and also what she called "rummies", rum balls that were so strong you
could smell them through the packaging, which was the Hills Brothers coffee
cans sealed with tape. My mother used to joke that they would get the
mailman drunk. My other grandmother made hand-dipped chocolates when I was
very young, but she wasn't able to do that as I got older because she
declined very quickly after the summer she broke her hip.