[Magdalen] Ch-ch-changes...

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 04:18:47 UTC 2019

Chicago's next mayor will be one of two African-American women. On April 2,
there will be a runoff election to choose between Cook County Board
President Toni Preckwinkle (for whom I voted) and attorney Lori Lightfoot.
I'm impressed with both of them. And they both defeated a Daley (Bill
Daley, brother of former mayor Richard M. and son of the late mayor Richard
J. Daley).

The long-serving white male alderman (city councillor) who represents the
Rogers Park neighborhood (49th Ward) just steps to the north of our
apartment was finally and soundly defeated by an African-American woman.
However, in the "what is wrong with people?" department, the ward long
represented by ultra-corrupt and federally charged Ed Burke...is
re-electing him, a rich white fat-cat power-wielder who is corrupt every
which way.

But in most races, it looks like good change is coming, and/or good
incumbents are being retained. Very low turnout, which I'll never
understand. I chose to be part of the relatively small committee making
these choices for a lot of others who decided not to bother. I look forward
to the coming runoff campaign and decision...it will be great to examine
the records and views of these two women further. Be great if they both
focus on their own messages and show us how a no-attack campaign is run
(don't know if that will be the case, but they certainly needn't
attack...they're both competent and qualified).

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA