[Magdalen] Is the Pub closed?

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 01:55:50 UTC 2019

I’m here.  Doing laundry – or it is doing itself, really.  Today I went to see a friend in hospital where she has been for about 5 weeks while they try to figure what is wrong.  Every test in the world hasn’t suggested much, and she had a round of C. diff.  in to the bargain to help her along!  Today she was feeling better and with luck will be out next week.  Had a late lunch with her husband after.  They’re in their 80’s and he has been having a tough time with this, and a close friend of theirs died on cancer on New Year’s Day._

Enjoying my new mattress and today bought two wonderful pillows 60% off to complete the ensemble.  While I was down the road  I got a couple more guppies to add to the collection.  Yellow Tuxedo and the flashy Tequila Sunset have joined German Yellow, Red Cobra,  and Red Neon.  Saving the freshwater snails from the freeze outside was not a great idea.  I now have millions of little snails and more all the time!  Small pleasures keep me smiling!

Church keeps me buy with this and that, which is good.  Remove church from the equation and I would have little reason to get out of bed each day, which would not be good.  I believe I will be rector’s warden another year and putting out the weekly newsletter, The Cat’s Meow, keeps me tethered.

Plenty of sadness from friends dying and the anniversaries of deaths looming.  My step-daughter and her partner have retired!  She and a co-worker split a large lottery win a year ago and with that and what Jim left her they are seizing the day, being very mindful of the shortness and uncertainty of life.  Her mother, too, has some ailment that will take her soon enough although new meds seem to have pushed the line back a bit.

My son, Chris, came from Montreal with all the fixings and we had a jolly New Year with raclette and copious amounts of bubbly.  My daughter Fiona will marry Carlo, her partner, in the spring sometime.  Very low key.  City Hall and a restaurant meal.  A bigger speducci fest celebration will happen in August probably.

Missing the Marion Singers in the abstract, but not much in reality.  Good proof that it was the right time to step away from the major travel and the grind, and our small church choir that punches above its weight keeps me singing and feeling like a useful contributor.

And so it goes, the minutia of life continues, not much to say to the wider world, but I do keep track of our prayer requests.  Have we heard anything of Lynn and her Jim?

Marion, a pilgrim

Sent from Mail for Windows 10