[Magdalen] ATTN The Scotts !!!

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 03:13:44 UTC 2019

Yes, we're in an apartment, in which 10 years ago or so, the owners had
individual furnaces and air conditioning installed in each apartment,
taking up half of our nice hallway closet. Some apartments needed extensive
soffit work installed to house the air ducts; being on the top floor meant
a lot of this could be done in whatever crawlspace is above our ceiling.
Then they shut off the boiler-and-hot-water radiator system and have been
removing the radiators when people moved out. We haven't moved out, so I'm
sure we're the last ones with the radiators. Heat with the radiators was
free (or included as building overhead in our rents) but now is
individually billed by our natural gas provider, Peoples Gas (ha, ha...but
that's what it's called). But of course now we can have programmable
thermostats. And central air in the summer! Glorious. And of course now we
pay for electricity to run the system and for air filters if we remember
they need replacing.

I think the owners who installed the furnaces thought they'd "go condo"
with the units, but then they went almost into foreclosure until a buyer
stepped up at the last moment. They've kept these as rental apartments.