[Magdalen] ATTN The Scotts !!!

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:27:55 UTC 2019

Correction, David...the climate change pattern has made these occurrences
MORE severe during the last 30 years.
https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/cold-snow-climate-change.html

One thing is true, though. Schools were rarely closed because of the
weather when we were growing up. Madison city schools were famously closed
the year I was born (1943...I guess there was a severe blizzard that year)
and not again  until my senior year in high school, 1961. I remember that
one because I'd talked my mother into letting me stay home; I'd injured my
knee in gym class and didn't feel like struggling through the already
forming drifts, even the three blocks from our house to school. At just
around noon, my best friend appeared at our door with snow dripping off
everywhere and asked if she could stay. The city buses had stopped running
and she had no way to get home. She stayed with us for 3 days and wasn't
the only kid who took refuge with friends that week. It was the weekend
before we all dug out. I think it was 1965 before it happened again, the
famous (or infamous) St. Paddy's Day blizzard. After that I believe the
guideline was whether the Madison Metro buses were running. Now, of course,
there are school buses and it's the Madison Metro School District and
encompasses a lot bigger area, so there's more to consider. I think there
was probably more to consider in the northern rural areas of the state and
schools may have been closed for snow or cold there a few times. But mostly
it was a thing of, you made it to school if  you could, and if you
couldn't, you made up the work. Now, of course, there's that thing about
schools only getting paid by how many kids are actually in school on any
given day....so there's that to contend with.